Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Not a coincidence

“What a coincidence!” is something I have been known to say a few thousand times throughout my life. However, events that have happened over the past few months during this pregnancy have caused me to change my way of thinking. I no longer believe in “coincidence”. I no longer think people are just lucky or something happened at the right place and right time with no explanation. Nope, that is all in the past.


I have mentioned in previous posts about getting in touch with 2 people who have been able to support me during this time, especially since they both have sons with ACC. I may have even mentioned that one of them lives less than 5 miles from my house…coincidence? No way.


I have also since then been hooked up with a person on Facebook who has a son with ACC, and is helping me get into some networks and get some good information on the subject. Is it a coincidence that we happened to have a mutual friend on Facebook who helped us make the connection? I don’t think so.


But the best happened just today. Let me retell it to you just as it happened…be prepared for some chills. God didn’t just whisper this to me…I think it was more like shouting. (Maybe he didn’t think I caught the first few…he definitely didn’t want me to miss this one!)


I took my class into the cafeteria today, got my lunch, and went to get something to drink. As I was getting my tea, an assistant at our school came up and asked me, “Have you heard about Mrs. M?” (I'm going to keep her name to myself, but all you need to know is that she is a well-known teacher in our school system.) I replied, “No, what about her?”


“Well, just recently she started having some mild seizures. They didn’t know what was causing them so she has had some testing done.” (Honestly, at this point I am thinking "Why is she telling me this?" Not that I wasn’t concerned, I just hadn’t made a connection to why she came rushing to me to tell me this.)


Then she continued… “Well, during the testing, they discovered that she is missing her Corpus Callosum.” (CHILLS yet?)


“You mean, she has never had any symptoms or any problems and she is just now finding out in her 40’s?”


“Exactly. She went through school with no problems, went to college, and is now a teacher, a mother, and a devout Christian. She had no idea that she was missing this piece of her brain, or that anything was missing for that matter.”


I walked out of the cafeteria with chills up and down my spine, thinking “Okay, God. I heard you loud and clear- everything is going to be just fine.”


So, I now know 4 people who are affected with this RARE disorder- and 2 of the 4 either live or work close to me. Coincidence? I don’t think so…


Thank you Lord for placing people in my life to remind me every day that YOU are in control and that YOU will take care of everything.


Jeremiah 1:5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart;”

4 comments:

Hallie Madewell said...

WOW.. that is amazing! God works in mysterious ways!

Cathy Holt said...

Love this!!! neat that we know of each other,but not really met and glad I could help connect you with Paige, all from Melissa asking me to remember you in prayer. :)

Anonymous said...

hi andrea, i am max's proud grandmother and am keeping up with you and anderson through paige! God always blows me away with something, but really loved how mrs m found her , rather, didn't find her cc!!!! God is really giving so much support to you and your family while waiting for anderson to make his precious appearance, isn't He. Wouldn't expect anything less from our Most Amazing Lord!!! andrea, we wouldn't change a hair on max's head....he is perfectly and wonderfully made, just all our 9 grands are!!! max is our oldest and in some ways our dearest, because he was the first. not that i love any of the others less, by no way, just he was absolutely doted on from his first breath, we learned to be grandparents from him and think he's unbeatable!!! max has made us all the better, we look at life differently because of him and look at people differently....if your anderson is just a 10th as super as max, and i know he will be....well, you are in for an absolute blessing...you whole family is!! a teacher once told paige.."i just want to tell you that anyone who has had the priviledge of teaching max or just knowing him is the better for it." the same will be said of anderson!! did you know we could walk to your folks house from ours. the gobble/hight "compound" is just down zion rd from your folks on hampshire pike!! too neat, how God is working all this out!! we give God the glory and honor and praise, for He is Worthy!! psalm 139..is one of my most favorites!! love, bettie

Drew said...

Hi Andrea,

I am really loving your blog! Strangely enough I found it because my name is Andrea Spears too. Please know I am praying for you and your family!

Take care,
the other Andrea =)