Thursday, February 7, 2013

What do you do...

when you get the news you hoped you'd never have to hear?  What do you do when you find out you're not a survivor, but still a fighter, and the battle just got more intense?  What do you do when you're given a time limit on how long you could possibly live?

Well, those are the questions that Jamie and I were faced with today at my doctor's appointment.  We went in with smiles and feeling positive about a good visit.  When we left, we were in such a state of shock we didn't really know what to say or do.

But it didn't take long for my mind to realize the information that we had just been told.  It didn't take long for the tears to start flowing.  Jamie and I have had to have some conversations lately that no 32 year old couple should have to have.  (But unfortunately we aren't the first and won't be the last.)  But our faith is strong and we believe deep down that no matter what happens in this situation, God is still in control.  While we don't understand, HE does.  Only HE knows the big picture and knows what possible reason our family could be walking through this valley.  But no matter how deep the valley gets, he's walking by our side.

So what do we do?  We cry, we sob, we mourn, and then we keep living, keep fighting, and keep praying.  That's it.  Simple as that.  We do not stop living life.   We just keep moving.  We try to keep our lives as normal as possible, and make the most of every minute of every single day.

So don't be shocked if you see me at school (tomorrow) or at church or out at ballgames.  I am not going into hiding just because I now have Stage IV cancer.  No- quite the opposite.  I will be out more, doing more, and enjoying everything I can.

Our family will stand strong through this.  One thing I can promise- I will not lay down and quit fighting.  I'm too stubborn.  I do not give up or give in easily.  It's me against cancer and I can promise that no matter who wins, it will not be an easy fight for either side.

I'm absolutely overwhelmed by all of the messages, texts, emails, cards, calls, etc.  I haven't been able to respond to any of them tonight.  The comfort that I feel from having our family lifted in prayer throughout the day is intense.  Thank you for that.  I will try to respond as best I can, but please keep in mind that we are still processing all of this.

One thing I ask...please be sensitive to what you say if any of my children are present.  We are still protecting them from this awful situation as much as we can.  They know more cancer has been found, and that mom may have more doctor's appointments again, but we've pretty much left it at that.  I'd rather them not have the stress and worries that come with this diagnosis- not yet.  I know there will come a time when they have to be given more information, but now is not the time.

Keep living, keep praying, and keep fighting- That's my plan.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through mutual friends and wanted to let you know that I am praying for you and your family. You chose the perfect song to play on your blog...it's been "my" song for almost 2 years now because of events in our own family's life. God continues to show me each and every day just how true those lyrics are. I look forward to joining you on your journey and to meeting you one day, whether that happens on the streets of Columbia, TN or on the streets of gold! Much love, Kim Scruggs

DeJarnette Family said...

Marty and I are reading this together on the couch and are completely humbled by your amazing faith and strength. Love to you and Jamie and the kids. And your words ring out better than any advice anyone could give you right now, " Keep living, keep fighting, and keep praying." No doubt His spirit is working in you girl!

Anonymous said...

You guys are a beautiful family. I will pray for you and I have faith that God heals. I don't know you but we are all brothers and sisters in the eyes of GOD. Bless you all. With love, Kimberly Cox

Anonymous said...

Keep your faith strong and God will guide u thru this... I will pray for u and God Bless you and your family...

Linda edwards said...

You are the most amazing young lady I have ever known and have the same type of. Husband. Both you and Jamie. have such a wonderful faith and I believe it will get you through this. You also have a wonderful support system.and more people praying for you than you can imagine. Love you all so much. Aunt Lindaa

Anonymous said...

Thank you for shining a bright light ... thank you for living out your faith in what could be considered a dark time. Your faith reminds me that God is very much real. I have been praying for you for a while, ever since Holly brought your request to our church. I will continue to lift you and your family up in prayer. -tim york, New Life Christian Church, Linden, TN

Anonymous said...

I love your kind of stubbornness. I believe it is a gift. You just keep hanging in there and know that we are all hanging in there with you. Love, peace and blessings. Mary Jane

beemerboy said...

Andrea, I found your blog several months ago when a friend posted a link. God bless you and your family. I will be praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Your words are inspiring. I too found your blog through a friend & couldn't stop reading about your journey. Thank you for sharing your heart. Prayers for you & your precious family. God bless.

Kathy Blue said...

Continuing to keep you and your family in my prayers.

Unknown said...

You are one of the strongest people I know. You are an inspiration to everyone who knows you. I truly believe if anyone can win this fight it is you. You and you family are always in our prayers.
Janice

Leah Bryan Wilson said...

Andrea,
I'm so sorry for your news. I can't imagine how much that must hurt after all the fighting and praying you've done. You are so strong and so fierce, I have no doubt that you will jump back in the ring and give it all you've got.

Leah

Christy Marks Davis said...

Your story has completely touched my life. You and Jamie are so strong and inspiring. "Keep living, keep fighting, and keep praying." Amen.

Christy Marks Davis said...

Andrea - Your story has completely touched my life. You and Jamie are so strong and inspiring. "Keep living, keep fighting, and keep praying." Our family sends prayers to Him for you everyday. Amen.

Anonymous said...

I do not know you; however, a mutual friend sent me the link to your blog. You are an inspiring young woman and I pray that you will be victorious. May God continue to richly bless you and your beautiful family.

Anonymous said...

We love you and are praying for you everyday!!you are so strong and sucha wonderful person. And amazing mother... and a truly great friend n ur so kind to everyone ... love you n praying for yoy n ur family

Jeremy Winningham said...

I have seen a positive attitude and a personal relationship with God carry people through times such as you and your husband are facing. I was at one time the eight year old that was told his mom might die from breast cancer. I watched as my mother's faith and trust in the Lord lifted her up and carried our family through. She received songs in the night months before her diagnosis and found them one difficult day and realized that they were for her. God knew before she did. She made them into songs and even recorded them a few years ago. She once heard a thump against the window at our house while going through a round of chemo and found a hummingbird laying on the ground. She held its delicate body for a moment and looked into its eyes. It's the moments of wonder that God gives us that makes life worth living. She is now a 25 year survivor and now her son treats cancer patients who amaze him every day with their spunk and vigor. Oh that we could all live with such an outlook as yours every day without a diagnosis. I see people prove doctors wrong all the time and magnify God at the same time. One more story sure won't hurt. I wish you the best and continue to pray for God's will and power to come together in your life.

Anonymous said...

I am always praying for you. My grandmother and her two daughters (my aunts) went thru the same journey as you are right now. I am just so sorry you are going thru it so young. You will continue to be in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Andrea and Jamie,

You and your precious family have been in our prayers and that will continue. I keep thinking, "we have seen a miracle in Anderson so why would we not believe that this could be the same." God bless you.

Marsy and John Thomas