Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Great News Finally!

Life is busy, and I've been meaning to post this for the past week- please forgive me.  Last Wednesday we got some very very encouraging news.  I had my scan last Wednesday to see if the latest treatment (oral Chemo) is working at all.  After other treatments have failed, my oncologist didn't want to waste any time leaving me on a new treatment without doing scans to see what's happening.  So after 6 weeks (2 rounds) of the medicine, we did a full body scan.

Some of my lesions that are measurable have SHRUNK!  Some others are stable, and there are NO NEW places that have grown since my last scan.  Praise God!  The CT report did say that the bone cancer (which isn't measurable in size) looks worse, however my oncologist explained to me that it is very difficult to tell the difference between HEALING bones and Bone lesions.  It will take more time to be able to tell if the bone cancer really is worse, or if the spots they saw just look worse because they are HEALING.   Also, my tumor markers have gone down quite significantly- just in the past 3 weeks, which is very encouraging!

I have been on top of the world with this news.  I'm so excited.  This is the first scan since all of this started that we didn't find out there were MORE tumors/lesions/spots.  So that is wonderful news and I can finally feel like maybe this cancer- which was once growing completely out of control- may be slowing down and responding to the most recent treatment.  But I also know that the millions of prayers being prayed for me and my family have a great deal to do with it also.

So we continue the treatment, check tumor markers every 3 weeks and scan every 6 weeks for the first few rounds.  If the cancer responded like this after only 2 rounds, I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens after 4 rounds.

The main side effect from this chemo is what's called Hand and Foot Syndrome.  This means that the palms of my hands and bottom of my feet become red, swollen, and feel burnt.  They also get very dry and begin to crack and peel.  It is very painful, but on my week off from the medicine it does improve.  I've decided that as long as this medicine is killing this cancer, I can deal with that side effect.  I can soak my feet, use lots of moisturizer, and complain a little, but that is a small price to pay to be able to live life and be able to dream about the future again.

Thank you again for your prayers.  Please don't stop praying.  We haven't won- YET.  But we've begun a "Rally in the Dugout" if you will.  And we aren't going down without a fight!  Love and hugs to you all.

Lots of fun and exciting things have happened lately- maybe I will find some time to catch up with some new posts soon- but right now we're in full speed ahead, living life- you know, work, school, supper, baths, homework- the normal.  Plus add in a few concerts, trips,  and meeting a few stars and that's what September has looked like.  :)

No comments: