Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Gettin' Antsy and Some Results

Getting Antsy? That's me. I can only be forced to sit in my recliner and rest for so many days before I start going CRAZY. And today, that' exactly where I found myself. So, I talked my mom in to taking me out of the house. "Where do you want to go?" she asked. "I don't care. Anywhere but here." So we hopped in the car (or slowly lowered myself with my pillowpet might be more accurate) and took off.

We went to her house for a little while, went and got lunch, strolled through Hobby Lobby, and ran a few other errands. The sunshine was wonderful and I was feeling as great as could be possible almost a week after surgery. I am proud to say that I have only taken my pain meds 2 times all day today and I still feel great! :) Yeah Baby!

Then this afternoon I went back to the doctor to have my incisions and drainage tubes checked. Everything looks good at this point as far as healing goes. I was able to get 1 of the tubes taken out which is wonderful because those things are a real pain in the backside trying to keep hidden when you are out and about in public! (I figure most people would not appreciate my drains hanging out for them to see all the fun stuff that fills them! So I do my best to hide them but don't feel successful at times.)

Overall the visit was a good one. We do have a more clear vision of this cancer and the tumor that I had because the pathology report from surgery is back. So...the tumor ended up being only a little bigger than 2 cm (I don't remember exactly but 2.1 or 2.3 or something). They ended up removing 16 total lymph nodes and of those 16 only 10 were positive. (only?). 10 didn't seem so bad to me because I originally had thought all of them were positive but after being sent to pathology, 10 out of 16 didn't seem so bad. But I guess I was wrong, though. Because having this many lymph nodes involved and the way they looked (some lymph nodes were nearly as large as the tumor) they have now put me at Stage III rather than Stage II.

Not exactly what you hope to hear, but as we were leaving I told my mom that this does not change my treatment at all. I still have cancer and I still have a battle. Haven't we known that since the beginning of February? Yes. Do I hate that it never seems to be the "typical" or "less severe" situation when I go to get results? yes I hate it. But I know I can't change it. There is absolutely nothing at this point I can do to make those results different.

What can I do? I can keep praying. I can keep asking my Army of friends to pray. And I can make the decision to do WHATEVER it takes to fight this cancer and kick it in the butt. And that's exactly what I'm going to do. So dear friends, I know there is a purpose in this that God will reveal, and I know he is by my side. BUT I also know that I have a lot more life to live. I have 2 daughters who need their mom to help them as they grow- to fight with as a teenager, and then be a best friend to when they have their own children. I have a son who will need reminded that he CAN do it and to never ever give up no matter how hard it gets. I have a husband who needs me, not only as his wife, but as his cheer leader and best friend. I have a family who need me- I am their laughter and strength. I also have a school full of children who need me- because I am the first smile that some of them see each morning. And better yet- I still have many people in my life who need to know Jesus and know what's it's like to have a relationship with him. I am not finished with the many purposes God placed me here on earth to accomplish. So giving up is not an option. Oh no- I will fight this to the end- and in the end I pray that God allows me to come out victorious.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your update! My prayers continue as you walk this path. You have a great family and many friends supporting and loving you as you battle this thing called cancer. My love to you and give my love to my special friend (your mom)....you and the other members of your family hold a dear place in my heart. Connie

Anonymous said...

You can do it and will kick cancer to the far side of the moon and beyond. Keep a positive mental attitude!

Anonymous said...

You are such an inspiration!!! You will beat this. There are so many people praying for you. My son and I pray for you every night. He is 11 years old and last Wednesday he wore pink to school I thought for bullying and I asked him did he know why he was wearing pink and he said yes for Ms. Spears. He said she is sick and we need to pray for her because her kids need their momma. I was so moved. He doesn't even know you. I was sick a couple of years ago and he almost lost me and he said he didn't want to see anymore kids go through that. Sometimes children just get it far better than adults. I had my miracle and I pray you will too. Just wanted to share this with you. Renee

bettie said...

ANDREA, ANDREA, ANDREA!!!!! HERE I AM IN DESTIN W/JOE, PAIGE AND MAX WHILE GRACEN AND KEVIN ARE IN NYC WITH ZION'S SCHOOL TRIP AND I READ THIS!!!!! GIRL, WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!JUST KEEP BELIEVING AND TRUSTING AND GOING FORWARD...THAT'S WHAT!!!! RIGHT?...RIGHT!!!! LIKE YOU SAID....JUST GOING TO KICK THIS CANCER RIGHT IN THE BUTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!YOU CONTINUE TO ABSOLUTELY AMAZE ME!!! TOLD GRACEN TODAY HOW PROUD I WAS OF HER "PUTTING HER BIG GIRL PANTIES ON" REGARDING THE PAIN SHE STAYS IN DUE TO NERVE DAMAGE FROM FOUR MONTHS AGO.....WELL...IF ANYONE HAS THEIR BIG GIRL PANTIES ON....YOU DO AND YOU WEAR THEM WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOPING TO GET TO SEE YOU...NOT JUST "TALK" WHEN WE GET BACK, AFTER END OF WEEK. BEEN TOLD BY MANY THE GOBBLE/HIGHT COMPOUND IS VERY PEACEFUL! GREAT PLACE TO FEEL LIKE YOU ARE IN A PARK WITH LOTS OF ROOM FOR THE KIDDOS TO RUN, RIDE "STUFF" AND HANG OUT!!! LET'S DO THIS....OKAY...OKAY!! I LOVE YOU ANDREA!!!! bettie~Col.3:17~

jill upchurch said...

There's a hole at CIS without you! Miss you.

Jill

Anonymous said...

Andrea,
I go to church with you and used to register your kids in Primetime. I so much enjoy reading your blog. You are so full of life and an inspiration to those of us who have never faced anything like this. I often wondered how I would react or cope with this kind of situation, and just reading your words of faith and determination has opened my eyes so much. Yes, you have so much left to do on this earth and with your faith and strength in Christ, along with all your prayer warriors, may God heal you and bless you and your family. You just keep fighting and kick this thing in the butt! Sue

Anonymous said...

ANDREA... please know that you are in our prayers...our home group will lift you up each time we meet...I plan to be in constant prayer on your behalf......Roger Jean

Anonymous said...

Andrea and Jamie:

We continue to pray for you. We recently heard a beautiful song that I KNOW will comfort you. I hope you can pull it up on YouTube under "Laura Story - Blessings." Well worth the time it will take (5minutes) to hear. God bless you all!
John and Marsy (Chandler) Thomas

Anonymous said...

Andrea, I wanted you to know that your are in my prayers. Your family is so precious. Please know this ole Hohenwald friend prays for you daily. Please let me know if I can do anything for you or Jamie. Your friend, Margaret Templeton