Thursday, August 23, 2012

Almost Complete

Tomorrow is the big day.  It's the day I've been looking forward to (and counting down to) since April 5- the day Jamie and I walked into the oncology office with no clue of what to expect, only knowing that they were about to put poison into my body- and wondering what my body would do in response.

On that day, we were focused on the number 4.  Four of those "Red Devil" Treatments, that I had heard (and read) so much about.  While I didn't know exactly what to expect, I knew it wasn't going to be pretty.  And it wasn't.  The sickness, the fatigue, the overall yucky and sick feeling, no appetite, and not being able to get out of my recliner for about 3 days- That pretty much sums up those first 4 treatments. 

We celebrated when those 4 were finished.  I felt such an accomplishment.  I wanted to stop after 3, but I made it through all 4.  Not by myself, nor of my own will power...nope.  Many people played a role in helping me make it through those first 8 weeks. 

Then it was time for the Taxol.  Every week, at least 2 1/2 hours of total medicines, aching, joint pain, possibility of severe allergic reactions, all for 12 weeks.  Every week for 12 weeks?  I can't do that.  There's no recovery time.  How will I ever enjoy my summer at home with my kids if I don't feel well every week? But once again...with the prayers and encouragement of so many people along with God by my side holding my hand, I can ALMOST say "I did it!"

Tomorrow I will have what I hope to be my last round of chemotherapy!  I am beyond excited.  And you know what?  I'm really thankful, too.  When I learned I had cancer and knew I had to have chemo, I really questioned whether or not I had what it took to make it through it.  I heard stories of people who couldn't handle it and quit without having completed all of their treatments.  I wondered if that would be me.  I wondered how bad it would be.  I wondered how I would ever make it through 20 total weeks of treatment.  And now, the end is here.  Tomorrow is the end of the 20 weeks- and I DID IT!  Maybe I should rephrase that...I didn't do it...WE DID IT.  Yes, WE. 

You know who you are.  Each and every one of you who read this blog, or my facebook posts, those of you who have prayed for our family, encouraged us, supported us,  fed us, babysat or provided transportation for my children, visited with us, called, sent cards, sent gifts,  given hugs, helped with homework, listened, provided medical care, administered medication, answered questions...you get the hint.  All of you played a huge role in helping me get through these past 20 weeks.  So I would just like to say THANK YOU!  From the bottom of my heart, thank you. 

I got a card in the mail today, and when I read it, I realized just how true and accurate it was, and how the timing of that card was PERFECT.  It read:

"In hard times she had learned three things:

She was STRONGER than she ever imagined,

Jesus was CLOSER than she ever realized,

and She was LOVED more than she ever knew."

Thank you for the love you have shown to my family and me.  I am truly a blessed person. 

Mission Chemo: Almost complete!

2 comments:

Aj said...

You are beautiful....you are courageous....you really are an inspiration for us all:') God has made the ugly cancer beautiful in you. Your smile and your words are saturated with His love! May He continue to bless you in this battle!!!!

Anonymous said...

This is truly a happy day -- a day we have prayed for. Thanks be to God for answering those prayers. Thank you for allowing us to travel on this journey with you, through the bumps, and up to this point. May the road ahead on this journey be smooth and your path clear.

Hugs,
Kim Henderson